Saturday, March 26, 2011

05.20.2009 - And We're Back!

From Julian's COTA journal

Julian woke up this morning his sunny, singing self. Right now he's playing with his Thomas Train engines and his new Troublesome Trucks. He's been saving for them, but we decided to buy them for him yesterday for being such a good sport throughout the day. The hard part now is going to be keeping him from jumping and running around. For TWO weeks. Seriously.

One thing I didn't mention in yesterday's post had to do with the impression Julian seems to make on people. Repeatedly. When we showed up at the Day Hospital (the short-stay unit within the Children's Hospital), all 4 of the nurses on duty remember him from his previous visits (biopsies and infusions). The last time he saw any of them was in November. And when I had to go down to Admissions to pick up a new parking pass (bear in mind, Julian was NOT with me at this point), the woman asked "patient name?" I replied "Phillips." She asked "Julian?" When I confirmed, she went all ga-ga, asked how he was doing, asked for the update, etc.

I'm always struck by the impression Julian seems to make on other people. He's so personable - and so cute - people remember their encounters with him for months - years even. It's funny, because at the same time, I can tell that I've not made the same impression on the same people. And I wonder if God has something special in mind for our little man. In the mean time, we'll do our best to take care of him, and enjoy the time we have together.

David